Saturday 6 January 2007

Mitad del Mundo, Ecuador

Up to now, I´ve had the most amazing experience on my trip. I woke up early this morning in Quito and took a bus, after coffee, to a small town called Mitad del Mundo (Middle of the world) about an hour away. The town has a small park with a monument celebrating the fact that the equator slices through it. The small park has many cafes and restaurants as well as museums, pavillions and a planetarium. The monument is a bit large but nothing that you would look at and stare in awe at. Now here comes the catch. The moment you straddle the equator and you know you are standing exactly in the center of our planet, your mind just goes haywire. I mean, I know that these lines are manmade in theory but they were created because the Earth does have a magnetic field and rotates on an axis, and this ¨imaginary line¨ is the line that denotes ¨winter¨and ¨summer¨all around our planet. It is the line that divides us north from south, and the line we use to create lattitudinal distances. I mean, it´s much much more than that. At least for me. Here in Quito, the toilets do flush toward the left instead of right and so it also crossed my mind; ¨If I flush here, what will happen?¨ Well, I didn´t flush so I´ll never know! Anyway, after walking around for a while, staring at the mountains that surrounded the park, standing on the north, east, south and west sides of the monument, taking a million different pictures in different positions, I decided to eat. I had the most delicious Churrasco with rice, avocado, two fried eggs, potatoes and a fanta for $4.00 and I was stuffed! After that, I played with a cat that jumped on my table and fed corn to some strange species of woodpecker that was flying around my table.. I felt like a character in a disney flick. The music had been blasting for a while (the typical flutes of the andes with some really funky beats) and I decided to follow the sounds. The sounds led me to a small square/plaza where there were the coolest people dancing. They did typical Equadorian dancing and then after I got a million and one goosebumps, I witnessed a wedding and then to top it off, traditional Incan dances. I then saw a little store with the cutest baby clothes and I bought Ava a little Ecuadorian dress.. I´m sure you´ll love it Madina! It was an incredibly inspiring place for some reason.. Maybe it was the culture, maybe it was the music (Seeno, you would have died with the music, the beats and rhythms were to die for), or maybe it was simply the fact that I was at the center of the Earth. I truly had an amazing experience and chose to write this small entry on my blog to let you know how much I enjoyed today, three king´s day (holiday in Latin America), at the center of our planet. Enjoy the pics!

















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the best i've seen. Ecuador is beautiful. your pictures are outstanding. Some day I'd like to go there.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Feliz Reyes Magos! -Abby